Thread: Transitioning from BG work to acting

Default Transitioning from BG work to acting

Greetings,

I am a 20 year old female from the Vancouver area. I have been doing full time background work for a little over a year with a fair amount of success (SAE.. Continuity work.. and some PHDB work) I am non union. I have no training other then 4 yrs of Drama at an Art oriented high school.

I am wondering how to transition into acting from here? I would also like to continue to do BG work.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

I'm some other people will probably have better answers than me. Acting is totally different from background. Doing BG does give you experience on-set and you might be able to learn from watching what happens on-set.

You will need an acting resume. List your training on your resume, and list all your special skills.

If you want to get into acting you will need to take some classes. Most schools should let you audit to see if that's the right class for you.
    You can also borrow books from the library.

You might want to audition for student films or indy films, you can find projects listed on this site. You probably won't get paid for these projects but it helps to build your resume.

You'll probably need to get headshots, once you have training and booked students or indy films then you need to get a principal agent that will send you out for audition for paying roles. If you have the right looks that a certain agent is looking for. They might even sign you even if you don't have that much experience.

You can still continue to do BG work as an actor. I know many actors who still do BG when they are not acting or going to auditions. You might now have time to do BG anymore once you start booking roles. I'm sure acting pays much better than BG.

I still do some BG work but I don't get called that often. I never ever done SAE before. How did you get booked for those?

Step 1-Get some quality training! You can't expect to act without really knowing how to act, you know what I mean? You can only go so far without proper, professional training and knowledge. I would highly recommend Vancouver Acting School at Shoreline-all of their coaches are amazing.

After you've gotten some training, look into finding a principal agent for yourself.
    You are much more likely to have someone take you on if they can see that you are working hard to better yourself and your talents.

Good luck!

Go audit and take in the professional and friendly environment at the Actors Foundry.

www.actorsfoundry.com