Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Image College of Fine Arts

Default New Image College of Fine Arts

Hey everyone! So I was looking through these posts, and I noticed that nobody really ever mentions the New Image acting class.
    Back in 2004, my mom finally agreed to enroll me in an acting class (New Image). There were four courses involved, but I only completed the On Camera Acting course because of severe family issues. Shortly after, I was put into ministry care and had to put my acting dreams on hold but that's another story .

So anyways, I attended an information session where they said they were going to do a draw and whoever gets their name picked gets a scholarship
    Needless to say, I was interested. And guess what... my name got picked.
    But it turns out that it's not a full scholarship. It's $1000 off from the $15,000 tuition fee. I went from elation to disappointment.

New Image is located in a posh building downtown and second year students get to have a meeting with carrie wheeler talent agency. also, second year is by invitation only. So it sounds like it's a prestige acting school

The point of this thread is :
    Has anybody done the program ? I was there a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure things have changed since then.
    The head acting guy was very nice, and is a reptutable actor, from what I know. So yeah......anybody have any thoughts on New Image?

I unfortunately will not end up doing the program because of financial reasons, but I thought it would be good to do a post about it, since nobody else seems to have mentioned it.

Take care guys and ladies = ) peace and love to you all

Nicky -

15 grand? They aren't the first pick I'd go for if I wanted to spend that kind of money on training. You could do a summer at circle in the square or hb studios in New York for that kind of money.

Prestige of a school in canada is crap, IMO. It's all about the teachers the process, student commitment and the work.

Yeah I know... I told them I couldn't afford it. And ofcourse they suggested I take out a student loan. And after I explained to them the reasons why I couldn't do that.... then they said that I should take the Spa program. I appreciate them recruiting students, but I am interested in ACTING. Not interested in being a spa technician, otherwise I would have stated that from the beginning. But I digress.

15grand is beyond anything I can imagine to pay for schooling right now. I am taking classes at Austin Tuck Studios, and although it is probably one of the less expensive acting schools in vancouver, my teacher ( Kaaren De Zilva ) is awesome and even in one lesson, I learn a whole lot from her. After I'm finished the course, I'm going to try Peter Bryant's and Deb Podowski's courses. That way, I feel good about my acting training AND I don't feel like I have just succumbed to highway robbery :P

I would absoloutly LOVE to go to New York... and Los Angeles.. that would be so amazing.
    cartoons and ice creams, stories and dreams...

If your acting coach suggests you take a spa program in lieu of of acting lessons regardless of reasons, be they financial or otherwise, that should be an enormous warning flag.

And getting meetings with agents are easy when you are the right fit. All agents are that accessible. Every single one. If you are right for them and they right for you.

Your $15,000/student is probably also a strong indicator as to the ability to hold classes in such a "posh" environment. In the real world of film & television and in almost every major training facility in North America you will notice a common theme that our workout space is rarely, if ever, posh and the tuitions taken in are better served going towards things like quality instructors and things that will benefit you the actor.

New York and LA are definite possibilities but you should be taking measurable steps that include a specific course of action that will lead you there. I suggest trying to stay with on of the teachers on your list in a longer term scenario and creating a plan of attack that lets you achieve your every goal.

Break a leg with whatever you decide!

Yeah, it was kind of strange suggesting the spa class. I've never trained with the lady who suggested this... I'm not even sure she's a teacher? She was the person in charge of their "scholarships" . I figured it was some sort of marketing ploy. She said lots of people in my financial situation opt for the spa class. My mother said that maybe they are in need of more students to pay the rent on their penthouse suite. :S

My coach Kaaren De Zilva is awesome , she has a good sense of humor too, which I always appreciate.
    And now that you mention it, the Austin Tuck studiios isn't "posh" at all but the teacher is great! So you really have a point there.

New York and LA probably won't be for a loooooong time lol. Gosh, that's not even an option for me right now :P

As always, thanks for your input Michael, I really respect and appreciate all you have to say

Looking forward to seeing you on set Nicky!

(and New York and LA don't have to be as far away as you think if this what you truly want. I just just knowing specifically why you want them to be your barometer. They were mine as well - and I know have representation in both countries - but I originally set that goal as a means to compete for the biggest opportunities against the best players.)

I hear great things about Austin Tuck Studios. Glad you are training somewhere that is giving you value.

Hi Nicky, I remember you and your very beautiful baby. As the head of the acting program at New Image College of Fine Arts. I wanted to address some of the comments and concerns. It is true that New Image College of Fine Arts is located in a beautiful building built in 1913. A place of knowledge, history and inspiration. And I feel no need to apologize for our space. We also have several classrooms, a black box theatre, a film acting studio. A makeup department that helps with all our projects.We have state of the art cameras,sound equipment, lighting,dolly and track, etc... Which we use to produce films dedicated to helping our actors learn through a real on set film experience . We hire professional film directors,recently(Genie Award Winning director Martin Cummins, and Jonas Questal director of four full length feature films )to do our short films. Professional crew. All to help our students realize their dreams and to gain employment in the end. We rent a theatre to present our second year actors to the industry and public. These are only some of the things that we do to help our students. We also have in my opinion some of the best instructors in the country. Genie Award winner and Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts(R.A.D.A) trained Eugene Lipinski,BFA Drama Education,Masters in Acting intensive training,and hired by director Zac Snyder in all three of his movies, 300,Watchman and Sucker Punch,Patrick Sabongia,. Award winning Actor , LAMDA, New York, trained John Tench. R.A.D.A.,The National Shakespeare Conservatory and also with master teachers,Uta Hagen,Edward Albee and Madeline Sherwood trained John Emmet Tracy. To name only a few. They bring the best of New York and British training here. All of our instructors are current and work extensively in the profession of acting As for the cost of our tuition it is less than most of the other Acting Diploma Programs in Vancouver, and far less per hour than any private acting workshops.We have a well thought out extensive program. We train professional actors, and our actors work. www.newimage.ca

I wish you the very best.

Philip Granger

First and foremost I have the upmost respect for Mr. Granger and the team of coaches he has listed. I however do stand by my statement that any school that would redirect you to taking spa classes in lieu of acting classes when you mention price is an issue "should be an enormous warning flag."

Many of Vancouver's top acting coaches have taught at this facility at one point or another but many of them also move on very quickly to other schools. The credits of the people Philip has listed are beyond reproach but the institution that is being discussed here is unfortunately not.

And the decadence in which this studio operates is something one should question when investing their hard earned dollars into this industry and the tuitions charged are most certainly not "less than most of the other Acting Diploma Programs in Vancouver, and far less per hour than any private acting workshops." They are one of the few institutions that do not list their tuition rates on the site.

I would also suggest evaluating what your return of investment is at any school you train at as you should ultimately be expecting to make this back and then much more. While one can never guarantee bookings or expected income at any program it would be interesting to see what percent of the actors at each school even make their tuition back let alone make a go at actually making a profit in this industry.

Mr Coleman has his own acting school and must have an agenda. John Tench has been an instructor with our school for six years.All of our instructors are dedicated to us and what they do.I personally over see every detail. "Please Google Philip Granger" Also this week alone two of our most recent graduates booked parts on "Human Target",and one is first choice for a series lead in Los Angeles.

These are the facts.
    It is true that New Image College of Fine Arts is located in a beautiful building built in 1913. A place of knowledge, history and inspiration. And I feel no need to apologize for our space. We also have several classrooms, a black box theatre, a film acting studio. A makeup department that helps with all our projects.We have state of the art cameras,sound equipment, lighting,dolly and track, etc... Which we use to produce films dedicated to helping our actors learn through a real on set film experience . We hire professional film directors,recently(Genie Award Winning director Martin Cummins, and Jonas Questal director of four full length feature films )to do our short films. Professional crew. All to help our students realize their dreams and to gain employment in the end. We rent a theatre to present our second year actors to the industry and public. These are only some of the things that we do to help our students. We also have in my opinion some of the best instructors in the country. Genie Award winner and Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts(R.A.D.A) trained Eugene Lipinski,BFA Drama Education,Masters in Acting intensive training,and hired by director Zac Snyder in all three of his movies, 300,Watchman and Sucker Punch,Patrick Sabongia,. Award winning Actor , LAMDA, New York, trained John Tench. R.A.D.A.,The National Shakespeare Conservatory and also with master teachers,Uta Hagen,Edward Albee and Madeline Sherwood trained John Emmet Tracy. To name only a few. They bring the best of New York and British training here. All of our instructors are current and work extensively in the profession of acting As for the cost of our tuition it is less than most of the other Acting Diploma Programs in Vancouver, and far less per hour than any private acting workshops.We have a well thought out extensive program. We train professional actors, and our actors work.
    www.newimage.ca

Also, I asked the girl you talked to about the suggestion and this is what she had to say.

The reason I suggested spa to this girl over the phone was:

She is on disability and not able to work.
    Spa programs can be covered by HDRC and acting programs can not.

She said she was a single mother on disability and my heart went out to her, she could get gov funded for a program that she could do out of her home when she completes. Make money to help her family. At least with the spa, she can work and have no loan, then make her own money to take acting classes.

I was trying to help her, by her circumstance: she wouldn't have to pay that tuition back to the gov, as long as she qualified for the funding. I hope this helps explain her intent.

Hi Mr.Granger.. For what it's worth, as far as I can remember, I liked the acting class that I took at New Image back in 2004. I can't quite recall the teacher's name, but she was really pretty and blonde.

Michael - what a neat idea!! There should be some sort of statistic that shows how many people make their tuition back from the various schools.. Is there something like that already ? An actor that I always liked is Barry Pepper, ( the sniper from Saving Private Ryan ) and he actually trained at Austin Tuck Studios so there's another plus

Take care,

Nicky

Barry Pepper's entire class went on to do very big things as a matter of fact. A solid indication of what Austin Tuck has accomplished as a school.

A school gets a bad rep because actors talk...ex teachers talk. Shoreline has a solid rep from what I've heard. Unfortunately, New Image does not. I'll leave it at that but I'm confident that based on "who" I talked to, that I would not study at New Image. If you've been kicking around this industry for even a year or so, you hear enough reviews to make an informed decision as to where to study.