Thread: IMDb-Pro?

Question IMDb-Pro?

I've been reading "The Casting Corner" and "An Actor's Voice".
    They keep promoting IMDb-Pro. I think it's about US$100/year...

Does anyone have it?
    Is it worth it?

I heard it is worth it, depending on what all you are looking to use it for. If you are looking to get cd, agent info, etc....then you might want to look at some other websites that I can recommend where you can get it for free. If you are looking to use all the services I've heard some people who swear by it, but others say that you can get more out of other sites.

I honestly will be looking to use IMDB-Pro once I get my headshots together.

I suggest doing the free trial. That's what I did and I'm not fully satisfied with it. It's interesting to see who is represented by who and what agencies represent certain actors, but I found (after doing the free trial...which reminds me I have to cancel it by tomorrow!) that's about the only beneficial thing you can do with it. Unless I'm just not using it properly...
    My thought was that I'd be able to see different local actors' resumes, but most don't have theirs up, or if they do I'm just unable to see them.

I'm a huge fan of IMDB-Pro...but never for acting. I use it for writing and producing matters now days only, and it's one of the singular best tools to utilize for research.

But for acting? I'm not as sure it would benefit everyone. If you're trying to acquire information on agents to submit too, most of them have websites, even Vancouver Actor's Guide has a list of agents with their contact. How much more you could glean from using IMDB-pro on an agent to submit to beyond whom it is they are representing is probably very little, and even still the one real knock on IMDB is how outdated info can get.

The reason it's so good for writers and producers is that the much harder info to find out there is production companies, lit agents, direct producer contacts. Actor's have an easier time because Agencies for actors aren't as closed gated.

I'd say unless you're trying to find representation down South, the 100 a year may not be entirely useful to you, especially once you have an agent. You don't even need Pro to update your own page on IMDB if that's what you require either.

Just my 0.02
    "I've got a fax machine that works like a super computer, and a super computer that works like a retarded ant!" ~Good Omens

I love IMdB-pro, but I am biased as I am listed on IMdB.

I use my membership to for the following:

-update my page as I do work, not all credits get added automatically.

- post my resume and update photos.

-research-research-research!! I am currently researching American directors who come to Canada to direct episodic television. I like to know a little bit about the shows/people I'll be auditioning for.

- I also used it to narrow down the list of agents whom I sent my submissions to. I decided not to submit to agents who's clients last worked in 2006 and before, I wanted an agent who already had clients booking recent work.

-I also used it to check out the competition at the agencies that I was interested in. No point in submitting to an agency that already had someone in my age range who could be my sister.

Now, the drawback of IMdB in general, is that the information is a not always up to date. IMdB doesn't automatically know when actors switch agencies.

One HUGE pro for me is I am searchable. If you google my name "Linda Watters", IMdB is
    second listing that pops up. My website is the first.

Now, here's a neat little thing about IMdB...if you don't have a page yet, don't despair. A few of the short film and student films I've done have been put up on the service. If you've acted in a short or student film, you might have a page and not even know it!

Lastly, when I signed with a agent before Christmas, she liked the fact that I had a page,with an up-to-date resume and headshots.

IMdb gets two thumbs up from me!! Love it!!
    "I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it. If people are disillusioned by that remark, I can't help it. It's the truth." Charlie Chaplin

One of my New Year's resolutions was to reevaluate where my money is going, and this IMDB Pro discussion brings up a good point. In fact, for where I'm at right now, the monthly membership price doesn't seem worthwhile. List Lurker brought up some great benefits of IMDB; however, things like updating your representation, correcting credits info writing a bio, ect, are available to the public and don't require a paying Pro membership. But I absolutely agree that for someone seeking new represention, it is invaluable to look through the rosters of prospective agents. Even if some of the info could be outdated, it gives a quick snapshot. Once you're repped, though, not a huge benefit. This is not to be confused with IMDB Resume, where for a small monthly fee you can add photos and a resume -- this is very important as a promotional tool! The photos help those who don't know you put a face to your name, and the resume allows you to list training and theatre info. So while I think IMDB Pro does have some "nice to knows", unfortunately the benefits don't necessarily warrant the costs, for those who are only involved on the acting side.

Soylatte is right,

For management of your own page and all of that jazz...you don't need to pay. There's really no added benefit than scouting whom is with what agent and the like. But a simple 14 day trial is enough to figure that out, and if you're meeting with agents asking them is just as good.

It's really only good for highend contact info -- and you don't need a lot of that as an actor. The searches that help are what directors film, what producers make, what actors are in what -- all of this is basic IMDB.

Pro is great if you're working in other facets for sure, but justify the expense.
    "I've got a fax machine that works like a super computer, and a super computer that works like a retarded ant!" ~Good Omens